Member - Guest week

Tough week to be away at all and two days would have been a stretch without such a solid crew, but it is always nice to see other courses. Made a trip to Fall River, MA and they have more water views than the trip to Nantucket the next day. By the way, walking off the boat on our sister island I run into former Mink Board member George Balco, there for a Steamship Authority board mtg. On the way off nantucket walking around town I run into Mink member Jack Gray and his wife. Who says Vineyarders are not allowed on Nantucket?
Miacomet GC on Nantucket
Fall River CC in Fall River, MA
Fall River CC is an old course, late 1800's. The original nine is outstanding and the new nine, (guessing 1970's) has some great holes as well. Unfortunately they squeezed in a couple holes to get to 18, and those frankly are just not good holes. Still it is a fun course and one not to be missed.
I have only been to Nantucket once and it was also a golf trip so I still have not seen a lot of the island. Last time I played Sankaty Head and it is truly a gem. This trip was Miacomet golf club. A former nine hole course which sold out to the land bank. They constructed a second nine which opened in 2004 and then re- built the old nine which opened in 2007. By far one of the best courses I have ever played. The design was challenging and a true links style course with many risk/ reward features. The condition was everything you want in a course: firm, fast and receptive.. I would not hesitate to make the trip to play this course.

The staff worked hard to "polish the gem" getting the Mink into fine shape for our men's member guest. Aside from the regular every day maintenance the boys did many little tasks to make the place better. Special kudos to Kevin for the set up this year. He put a lot of thought into making this event different and thought provoking. Many holes were shrunk to the forward tees but the corresponding pin placements made scoring a real challenge. I would also like to thank my guest Bill Coulter, CGCS Superintendent at Swansea CC for rolling greens sun morning. Took me 3 or 4 years but I finally put him to work.

not a potato but a rock dug out of the 6th green thursday during cup changing
Deer crossing three Sunday morning
Bill Coulter my guest in the tourney rolling greens at the crack of dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment