Practice....Tisbury Fire Department

We often hear the axiom that practice makes perfect. Mink Meadows Pond tends to be the first water to freeze in Tisbury so last night our fire department came out to practice some cold water/ice break rescue drills. This profession is in a tough position. We all hope we never need them but if we do it is nice to know they are proficient at every facet of their job. For them it literally could be the difference between life and death. They cut a hole in the ice with a chain saw so a "victim" could be submerged in the ice. I was shocked that only and inch of ice was holing these grown men but the ice was cracking/groaning and letting us all know it was under strain. I remembered having a discussion with our Chief many years ago about the thickness for safe use and posting. After mentioning it to him he reiterated his opinion "There is NO Safe Ice in Tisbury, if you want safe ice go to the Arena." Sage advice.

corner of the parking lot


heading out with pontoon


"victim" in the water


Next morning


see the crack behind the triangle?
I grew up skating on ponds and playing what the Canadians call shinny. We simply called it pond hockey. I clearly remember chasing a stray puck to the edge once and my foot went right through. It was scary and unpleasant to have a wet leg for the remainder of the day. Luckily that was the only issue. I can guarantee you we did not have a good plan or any equipment such as a rope to deal with a whole scale submersion. This was long before the days of cell phones. How did we ever survive? In 23 Winters I have only skated on this pond once or twice. Maybe my risk taking days are behind me? It is good to know the Tisbury Fire Department is practicing their skills and I hope that is the only time I see them on the pond.

EDIT: Bill in the pro-shop printed this for me off the Farmers Almanac.



No comments:

Post a Comment