Happy Birthday- Discovery

This map was delivered to us last week from Antone "Tony" Lima, the grandson and namesake of the Superintendent in the 60's-80's. It is an as-built of the original irrigation system. The first I have ever seen. There is a bit of the "where have you been all my life" feeling. Since we are designing a potential new system it seems a weird twist of fate to finally get my hands on this one. 80 years ago today is the date of this map. Unfortunately it is in really tough shape. We will try to have a copy made but I do not have high hopes. I have taken some pictures of it and will do more in the near future. One major discovery is the location of the 7th hole. You see, all the other maps I have seen show the 7th as a dog leg left par 4 with the green in the location of the forward tee on 8.


"Water Supply System Dec 12 1938"
7 in it's current location





1938 July "Water Mains & Tree Lines"

I have showed tons of people the remnants of what sure look to be a green complex with bunkers. Even the architects I have shown agree it sure seems like it. So was it roughed out only? Seeded and then moved? No one has ever been able to tell me they remember the green anywhere other than where it is now and this new map sure as heck proves it was, as of Dec 1938 at least. But what about the features on the ground on 8? The mystery of the 7th continues.

Below are a couple of pictures of the pond off the parking lot. One is looking East at sunset and it looks more like a sunrise with the water on fire. the other is today with a skim of ice holding the dusting of snow we received. It did not settle on the grass and we had a golfer enjoy the day. Winter on Martha's Vineyard

fire and water
ice and snow

No comments:

Post a Comment