Scenes from the course

As I drive around the property I notice little things that peak my interest. Sometimes turf related and sometimes just a part of nature that I find curious or interesting. We often have ground spiders that build webs on the turf that are often quite striking in the morning dew. I am sure the pictures will not do them justice but this one was about the size of a baseball in the tall grass on the right of number four:

ground spider web
other times it could be something kind of gross like a pile of turkey excrement on the seventh green:

dried out and pelleted you would be happy to spread it on turf but not like this
A salesman and I were chatting the other day about the seemingly absent red thread fungus. Being a wet year it appeared to be the perfect condition for it and so he was curious why no one had seen any. Not more than a day later it was everywhere. I took a picture and emailed it to him and he responded : "Woke up this morning to see my back lawn covered in the stuff". I thought there's poetic justice for you. Not a horrible disease and usually grows right out of the damage but just another observation made.

named for the red thread like mycelium when active
Lastly a picture from last year on golf club road where I noticed these shoes and decided they might make an interesting picture (has to be a story behind their abandonment) and a couple from this year where I noticed a lady slipper for the first time just off the second green.

Bert investigating the scene

Favorite part of spring is discovering these gems



Lady Slipper just off the 2nd green


No comments:

Post a Comment