Show of Force



Snow Plow Fleet

We have been in charge of snow removal at Mink Meadows ever since we took over road maintenance in 1999. For the first couple of years we subbed out the snow removal portion. Then we purchased a used dump truck and brought it in-house. We have approximately two miles of roads approximately 12 out of  a potential 50 driveways that we plow. In 2008 we replaced the 1993 pickup truck and added a plow to the new truck to have a back-up to our then older dump. This year we replaced the dump and also added a plow attachment for the bobcat, which will make driveways much easier.
A little story from my interview process in November,1995: I came from a private country club with indoor tennis facilities. We had to plow roughly 80 inches a year so I was quite familiar with the process and time needed. When I asked about snow removal I was told "don't worry it never snows on MV". I continued to press the issue explaining "the job comes with the use of a four wheel drive truck so I do not care how much it snows, I just want to know who is in charge of dealing with it".  "Oh don't worry, that is part of road maintenance and not your concern". That winter we had several snow events and one storm that dumped 12-15 inches. We have only had one season in our tenure with that kind of volume, thank goodness, but that is the reason we have such a force of removal equipment for a place where "it never snows".



Snow Plow Fleet


No comments:

Post a Comment