We have had a fairly wet fall this year so the need to water was diminished. Rather than wait until it would be the most miserable of jobs, usual timing, I decided to blow the system out early. As I teased my friend who went out a week earlier saying it would be too warm and just not feel right he responded "yeah but it will be fun in shorts and a beach chair". All kidding aside my favorite worst memory is the day we started in carts and had to move to 4x4 trucks because we had about 6 inches of snow fall as we were blowing out. We also had a four wheeler do a donut on the second green with about 3 inches of snow that day. Took a week but the snow melted and we chose to strip the damage and sod from the nursery. Good times.
To go back to the thought of drains on a system. The original map shows a pipe teeing off the main loop near the practice green and heading down between the cart barn and clubhouse. We had a valve break closed on the main a few years back and when we dug that up we eliminated this tee since I really did not want to ever see the end of this pipe. On the map it goes straight through the parking lot into a pond. The pond now has a house in the middle of it as they back filled to create the land. My worst fear was this pipe rupturing and flooding their basement, if they have one. The only downside to abandoning this section of pipe was we lost the feed to the sprinklers on the p-lot side lawn. I never knew they were fed straight off that pipe until we put 2 and 2 together. Within a couple of years we re-built the clubhouse and tore up the lawn anyway. Now that section and the flowerbed sprinklers are on town water off the building. Which is a good thing for the shrubs since we have salt water in our irrigation well.